You Can Feed the Hungry
Take the opportunity to help feed others and participate in the fight against childhood hunger.
How to Organize and Prepare Bags for Delivery to Tan’s Treats Hungry Kids.
By following the below instructions, each of the bags you prepare will feed 1 child for a typical 2 day weekend.
- Decide how many bags you plan to pack as a family or group and gather the following supplies for each bag:
- 1 plastic grocery bag.
- 2 breakfast food items.
Here are some of the easiest examples of breakfast food items: instant oatmeal packets, pop tarts, individual serving cereal boxes, cereal bars, etc.
- 2 lunch food items.
We try to pack each bag with at least one “protein” item per weekend. If the item is a canned meat/soup we ask that you try to get the “poptop” option because many of these children don’t have a way to open these cans on their own unless they are poptop. Some examples of lunch items: canned tuna, canned chicken, Vienna sausages, peanut butter crackers, fruit cups, cans of soup, etc.
- 2 snack items.
We try to include at least 1 fruit item per bag. Here are some examples of snack foods: fruit cups, applesauce pouches, granola bars, individually wrapped cracker packets, chips, fruit bars, etc.
- 2 dinner items.
Some examples of dinner items are: Ramen noodles, easy mac bowls, chef boyardee individual meal poptop cans or bowls, cup of noodles, cans of soup, etc.
- Below are our recommended food items for each bag (1 of each should be placed in each bag):
- Individual Oatmeal Packets
- Nutrigrain Bars OR Poptarts
- Granola Bars
- Snacks (cracker packs, fruit snacks, etc.)
- Fruit Cups OR Applesauce Packets
- Ramen Noodles
- Vienna Sausage OR Canned Meat (tuna, chicken, etc.)
- Canned Dinner (Chicken Noodle Soup, Canned Ravioli, etc.)
2. Assembly Line. We generally line up all the items on one counter top and make an assembly line. We (kids included) will grab a grocery bag and go down the line grabbing one of each item, placing it in the bag, then tying a double knot in the bag at the end (to make sure the bags do not come untied during transport).
Each bag has a combination of 8 items for a regular 2 day weekend.
3. Deliver the Bags to Tan’s Treats!
We typically deliver bags to local schools for distribution to the kids early in the morning every Friday. Delivering your bags to Tan’s Treats on or before Thursday will help to get your bags delivered the week they are prepared.
The following items are picture examples of the “types” of food that are best to pack. BUT… Truly any easy open, individually packaged, non-perishable, easy to prepare item will work. A lot of these kids are preparing these meals on their own so we want them to be able to quickly and easily prepare it by themselves, if necessary.